Patmos museums

 

monastery of st john

Ecclesiastical Museum
It is the museum of Saint John the Divine's monastery. The museum is in the monastery facilities and exhibits precious religious vessels and jewels, pontificals embroidered with gold, patriarchal mitres, icons, gospels, rare sacred books, pyxes, plates, incensories etc.

Folklore museum 
It is accommodated in the Sarandiri Mansion, which was built in 1625 by masons from Smyrna and is being inhabited by the eighth generation of this family. It houses furniture- most of which over 250 years old- paintings, pictures, family heirlooms mainly from Odessa, a foot-operated dental drill and an icon-screen with Russian style icons of the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries. 

Municipal Library 
The library was an initiative realized and sponsored by Nikolaos Mavris son of Georgios who was a Doctor and the 1st General Commander of the Dodecanese. The Library was built in 1950, right after the annexation of the Dodecanese to Greece. It comprises a wealth of literary works as well as the archives of Kasos whose author was Nikolaos Mavris himself.

Monastery Library
The historical library of Patmos is nowadays considered to be one of the most important and best- organized libraries of Christianity. We can distinguish the intellectual wealth it offers in three major categories: a) the codes, b)… and c) the manuscripts. According to the booklist at the beginning of the 13th century the library consisted almost entirely of theologically oriented codes. Out of 267 codes in vellum and 63 in cotton, accounting for 330, 109 were administrative, 107 are characterized as moral codes and 31 concerned Saint John and constituted the theological component of the library. The rest allude to a variety of topics and only 20 codes are of a secular nature. Only one code refers to a classical text: the Accusations of Aristotle. The monastery library of Saint John the Divine had the same fate as all monastery libraries whose future lay entirely in the hands of archbishops. 
The booklist of 1355 manifests an impressive widening of intellectual horizons while in the mid 14th century a multitude of books of all kinds reached Patmos and monks started reading Xenophon and Plato. The great philosophical School of Mystras, the contribution of Byzantine scholars to the thought developed in the classical Italian hothouses of intellect (from the end of the 14th century-onwards) as well as the trade of classical manuscripts did not attract the monks' interest to more contemporary matters. The vibrant spirit of Constantinople wafting to the West had no impact whatsoever on Saint John's monastery library and, even though the number of books was ever increasing, all books were of religious content.

The library, the infirmary of the Soul as the marble slab of the bishop of Laodikia Nikiphoros reads (1802), consists of a central hall with rooms all around it accommodating the archives and biographic material. In the central hall with the stone pillars supporting the roughcast arches so distinctive of monastery architecture, special bookcases have been placed covering every wall and hosting all manuscripts and old books.

Patmos

2007 travel guides