Patmos the island of Apocalypse ,at Patmos St John wrote the book of
revelations in the famous
Cave of the Apocalypse .Patmos is one of the small northern
Dodecanese islands near to Leros Lipsi Ikaria and Samos.The island has
beautiful beaches and is connected with Athens and the other Dodecanese
island with Ferries.
Patmos was inhabited from prehistoric times. The first settlers to be reported are the Carians and later the Dorians and Ionians. During the roman years, Patmos was an exile island and it was here that John came in 95 AD as an exile and where he wrote the Apocalypse. Throughout history, Patmos was a target for pirates where they looted the island many times. During the 11th century, the monk Christodoulos received the order from the Byzantine Emperor, Alexios, to build the monastery. This fortified structure enabled Patmos to keep invaders at a distance. It was Christodoulos who also built the fortress in the neighbouring island of Leros-read more about the history of Patmos.
places to visit on
Patmos. The Chapel of Saint John the Divine, built on parts of
Roman public baths in Greikos. It is older than the monastery.
The Chapel of Virgin Mary of Geranos, to the east, on the hill of Geranos forty minutes walk from Vaya.
There are also ancient tombs in the vicinity.
Saint Nicolas Ebdilos or Abdilos, 3 kilometers to the northwest, is one of the oldest churches of the island dating back to late 11th, early 12th century. It was in this location that craftsmen and artisans settled with their families when saint Christodoulos brought them to the island to build a monastery. Holy Christodoulos deemed that this land would be distinct for the secular (ebdilos in purist Greek). The icon of Saint Nicola is considered to be miraculous and to have been protecting boats leading them to lee. It is said that when in danger there is a bright lights guiding boats to the port seen only from sea. The icon was brought to the island by artisans from Trebizond. There are also a few cottages in the area.
The monastery of Virgin Mary in Livadi, in the prairie of Kalogiri, 4
kilometers to the north located in a beautiful landscape. In the old
days it was an ascetic seat established by monks of Mount Athos
pertaining to the movement of Kolybades and it has features similar to
the hermitages of Mount Athos. The main chapel of the monastery is
dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary.
It is worth visiting the churches of Saint Fokas and Saint Catherine in Skala next to the Patmian Home.
The Virgin Mary of Koumana, situated in the homonymous hill, exhibiting a bright cross (1780). The church is dedicated to All Saints and it was founded by Saint Notaras the Corinthian who had been accused by the Turks as the instigator of the insurrection in Orlofika (1769-1770) and had been consecrated by a high priest of Corinth.
The church of Saint Paraskevi is a 17th century building on the way to Grikos, overlooking Scala and the hills behind it. The church was built on the foundations of an ancient temple and many fragments of vessels have been found there. The icon it hosts is in a Cretan style and dates back to the 16th century.