World Europe France Chambery

Chambery

Chambery France tourist information

The city of Chambery is located in the centre-east of France 537 km from Paris, 661 km from Bordeaux, 345 km from Marseille, 217 miles from Turin, 114 km from Lyon and 92 km from Geneva .Its location in the natural crossroads of Europe explains its historical growth. It lies in a broad valley bounded on the east by the massive Bauges , on the south by Mount Granier and the Channel Belledonne, to the west by the chain of the southernmost mountains of the Jura and to the north by the Lake Bourget. Before the founding of the city in Roman times, vast marshes stretched at this location. Most of the city is situated on flat terrain marked by a few hills: Chambery-le-Haut, Chantemerle and Chambéry-le-Vieux, Bellevue or The Mountains. The rest of the landscape is composed of medium-sized mountains.

History:The city was already well-known in Roman times. Between 1232 and 1562 Chambery was the capital of the country Savoy. Between 1792 and 1815, Chambery was the capital of the department of Mont Blanc. In 1860 came Savoy permanently to France. During the Second World War the city was partially destroyed. The castle of the dukes of Savoy dates from the 14th and 15th century and the 18th century was restored and rebuilt. Near to the castle there is a chapel in Gothic style with a Baroque façade. The chapel was built between 1453 and 1578 . The cathedral of Chambery was built between the 15th and 16th centuries.


Travel:The common boundarys are Barberaz Chambéry, Bassens, La Motte-Servolex, Ravoire, Saint-Alban-Leysse, Cognin, Jacob-Bellecombette and Sonnaz. The city is bathed by the Leysse river which is feeding the Lake Bourget.Chambery is bisected from north to the south by a fast track urban highway the N201 or E70. It begins at the exit of the A41 from Lyon in the area and the Landiers Érier. It extends over twelve kilometers, before joining the A43 near St. Baldoph direction Albertville, Grenoble, Turin and Bourg-Saint-Maurice. While traffic on the VRU increased steadily, it has decreased in recent years with the reopening of the Mont Blanc Tunnel and has diverted some of the traffic of the tunnel of Frejus.

The Old Town: It is composed of a large number of old hotels of the nobility Savoyard. At the end of the fifteenth century, the noble families have begun the demolition of old bicoques wood and mud and have built houses with stones which later took the name "hotel" where the householder receives his guests. The homes of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries are many, though their facades have mostly been redrawn since the eighteenth century (Lower Street, Castle Street Juiverie, St. Croix-d'Or). Very influenced by the medieval heritage, the first hotels where organized around a courtyard. The Italian Renaissance left its mark here with loggias or galleries linking the various buildings

Elephant fountain: The famous fountain of the Elephants was built in 1838 in memory of General Benoît de Boigne. This fountain is the best known monument and landmark of Chambéry . The monument was inaugurated on December 10, 1838. The hight of the monument is 17.65 metres,it is a clever combination of three monuments: a fountain, a column and a statue. Four elephants made from iron, the water flows by the elephant's trunk in a pool of octagonal shape. Above are a wide variety of trophies. The vast column is symbolized by a palm treet and on its top is the statue of the General Benoît de Boigne.
Chambéry has a lot of statues, most settled in the late nineteenth century .

Lake Burget

lake burget bourget lake near chambery Lac de burget

France travel guide Facts about France GeographyMap HistoryFrance tourist information driving in France Accommodation

2007 travel guides